January Reading List


Oh man, is it just me, or was it really hard to get back into the school routine after the holiday break? Good grief. For a while there I actually considered just giving up...phoning it in, as Jillian Michaels would say. No, I can't do it! Not another day! And no more situps! (wait, what?). Even now I'm struggling to get organized and January is almost over! Are we on fish or birds? Did we finish mammals? Did we spend enough time on Joan of Arc? I don't know! I don't know! This level of disorganization, combined with what can only be described as educational apathy are most definitely not a good way to start off a New Year, nor is it welcome in general.

I'd like to think I have a good excuse. There have been some life changes going on, coupled with my decision to open another retail store in another month or so - these things I understand will naturally derail otherwise normal organized household routines. But still...it's annoying. There's enough time in the day...we simply aren't that busy. I really think my brain just needs some mega doses of warm sunshine. Really, I think that simply boils down to my needing to spend a little time in, oh, I don't know, the Bahamas maybe? But, whatever, I'm flexible.

Well, current derailments aside, we did actually make it to the library last week and actually even managed to read most of the books we picked up. And considering how many bookcases and display units I painted and moved over to the store during that time (ahem, on my own, ahem), I'm actually fairly impressed. And that's saying a lot because normally just us getting out of pajamas impresses me.

Now, I'm going to be honest, there's not a single book in that stack that was for me to read. I did watch a movie by Ken Burns on Prohibition, which I thought was quite interesting, and I do have a religious history book I've been working on for two months now (seriously, the print is outrageously tiny - it was clearly written for buzzards), and a couple of book club titles I'm determined to read, but really, I think for the interim, I'm doing good reading The Talented Clementine to the monkeys without some sort of brain freeze.

As you can see from the stack the monkeys are reading up on eagles, Bengal tigers, and I think peacocks (random, I know, this is what I'm talking about). And for history we've been reading up on Columbus, the Aztecs, the Incas, the Mayans, and good ol Quetzalcoatl. All we have left is one short chapter on Martin Luther and Henry the VIII and we will finally be out of the Middle Ages and off into the world of the Renaissance! Aye! Which will mean a whole new lapbook and a whole new subsection on glass-blowing! *squeal*...er, I mean...*nerdy snort* (more on the lapbooks later).

BTW, speaking of Henry, have you seen the Showtime series, The Tudors? Good grief it's naughty, but beautiful and fascinating and insanely interesting, -- and a great diversion if you're experiencing any sort of book/school brain-freeze derailment issues (and yet still want to soak in a little, um, history). I'm just sayin'.

Just a few more months, fellow homeschoolers! Don't phone it in! You can do it! I think I can I think I can.


P.S. - His Grace, the Duke of Suffolk. Aye, indeed!

"God's Teeth!"

2 comments:

  1. Nope, not just you! And I certainly don't have any good excuses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know I'm in good company here!

    ReplyDelete