October Reading List


Yo, Vikings.

Ok, so I need to catch up on where we're at with What We're Reading. Well, let's just say for history we sailed thru the Vikings a few weeks ago and are now journeying onward thru knights and castles. For music we traveled around Europe with Mozart and Beethoven, and for art we made a similar journey with Rembrandt and Raphael.


For science we uncovered the mysteries of the heart and lungs, and the ahem, excretory system (pretty sure my 10yo had her fingers in her ear during that whole lesson..."don't say it, don't say it!" = "urine" = "ackkkkkkkk!" = oh the drama!)

So we really liked The Reluctant Dragon. Both girlies agreed it was less intense (read: gory) than St. George and the Dragon, which we also read. Ms. Frizzle's Medieval Castle Adventures had the girls giggling (and was quite informative), and we stumbled on a few pop up castle books that were kinda cool (especially the sections that explain their toilet system. Now why my girls can talk about medieval poop-shoots all day long but I can't say the word urine is, well, rich with irony).


Moving on...we're actually still working through a few of the books in this short stack, and Goya is up next in our art studies (and Chopin).

I read The Forgotten Garden for book club. It was meh. Intriguing, but 500 pages? Really? There's no way a 500 page book doesn't have some redundancy in it...no, 500 pages is a book screaming for editing.

I will go see the movie, though, if it comes to that.

(Secretly, of course, I was wracked with envy that I'm not clever enough to write such books *sigh)



Now some of these books are in pics twice...our stacks get rearranged daily. You understand. As you can see though, we're going to be on King Arthur and medieval knights for a bit longer. We're also going to start reading McCaughrean's version of The Canterbury Tales next week as we move into the time of the Crusades.

We enjoyed learning about Tchaikovsky and listening to his ballets on CD. I'm telling ya, some of these classical dudes were quite the divas. If you get a chance, flip thru Lives of the Musicians: Good Times, Bad Times, and What the Neighbors Thought. Pretty interesting stuff. It's not necessarily for kids, well, technically I suppose it is for kids, but more of the middle school variety. Humorous and interesting all the same. There's a similar book called Lives of the Artists. In fact, there's a whole series of them.

My older Gypsy gal read Love That Dog (said it was OK - which could mean just about anything with her), Younger Gypsy read The Water Horse (and gave it a thumbs up). We also watched the movie after finishing the book and both kids gave it a thumbs up. I, on the other hand, after shouting a host of PG rated obscenities to the TV, stomped my feet and stormed out with enough contempt to make a toddler swoon. Seriously, do movie producers even bother to read these books first? It seems "Based on" has come to simply mean, "Shares the same title as..." As that's about all I recognized. It may be a lovely movie, but on principle, I give a firm HMPH!

Speaking of hmph...We're two chapters away from finishing Harry Potter ("kill me now!" they say) (I swear, who are these kids?) Secretly, I think they're enjoying it. And we took a road trip recently and started on The Adventures of Tom Sawyer on CD in the car. They tried to hide the movie from me at the library the other day and I just threw my head back and laughed and said, "Oh, you silly girls, we haven't read the book first. One form of torture at a time!"

(Someday they'll thank me, right?)

And I think that just about gets us caught up. Whew! We've been working on medieval-inspired art and other various castle-y projects so be looking for an update on all that soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment