A Little Forensic Science


Oh, I'm so far behind! I will catch up. I will catch up. Ugh. OK, well, here we go. So, for science this year we are doing a year of Biology, starting with Human Anatomy. Which means we'll be spending the next 10 weeks or so studying body systems (4th grade and 2nd grade). I decided to start with the Integumentary System first (AKA Skin), and after downloading several coloring and labeling sheets online, I also picked up a stack of books from the library, one of which was our favorite science/craft books, Arty Facts.

Now, if you've been following our homeschool adventures then I'm sure you've already heard me go on and on about this book series. We used several last year for Planet Earth, Space, and Ocean studies and well, needless to say we love these books. So naturally for our semester on the human body we had to pick up the Arty Facts: Our Bodies book and work through a few of the projects.


We made multi-cultural collages to go along with our discussions about melanin and different skin pigments and colorings.



And when we made our way to the Muscular System we made these cool jointy acrobat dudes as examples of how our joints work.


But I'm getting ahead of myself.


Because somehow our discussions about skin and pigments and melanin led to a discussion about fingerprints. Which led to a discussion about Forensic Science.



Which led to us fingerprinting each other and playing a little game of 'whodunit.'


Which somehow led to blood splatter.

Now, this may or may not have something to do with my current obsession with Dexter and my watching all 5 seasons back to back over the summer.


Or it could just be that blood splatter seems like a really cool thing to discuss the first week of homeschooling in the 4th grade.

In my defense, there is a blood splatter discussion/art page in the Arty Facts: Bodies & Art book so I like to think we were just following along.


Now, determining how blood looks as it splatters down from various heights...well, let's just say that's all part of the (ahem) curriculum we're following.

2 comments:

  1. Wow.... what fantastic homeschooling ideas! That book looks really good. I'm going to have to see if our library has it so we can add to our homeschooling curriculum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Arty Facts books are a great series! Hope your library has some of them. If not, maybe they can get it as an interlibrary loan? Happy homeschooling! What ages are

    ReplyDelete