A Little Light Reading for June



June June June...goodbye to June. But truth be told, June lingered a bit for me this year. I don't think I've ever been so happy to see the arrival of July. I did quite a bit of reading in June. Maybe that has something to do with it. In fact, looking back, it's possible I had my nose in a book the entire month. I read: The Bond, The Help, The Lovely Bones, The Red Tent, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime, Swallows and Amazons, Bossypants, Midnight's Children, Madame Bovary, Confederacy of Dunces, along with a few other misc books. And for book club I read Lisa See's newest book, Dreams of Joy (not pictured). I also squeezed in Birdsong and A Town Like Alice (both forgettable...and not pictured) and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

My favorite of all of these was The Help and The Red Tent. Both worthy of shelf-space. I enjoyed Confederacy of Dunces; and Swallows and Amazons made me want to drive to Maine and have sailing adventures with my gypsies...and The Bond was a good read by Wayne Pacelle regarding our call to defend animals. Bossypants was funny but I'm ever so thankful I didn't spend actual money on it, only to see it mocking me from the overstuffed bookshelf. Bwahahahaha, you fool! Seriously, it's books like that (and Madame Bovary and Midnight's Children, and to a lesser degree The Lovely Bones) that secures in me a desire to make out with my library card.



The stack on the left in the upper picture was part of what the girls picked out from the library. They read a few E. Nesbit books, a few Cam Jamsen books, a few Dick King-Smith books, and together we listened to The Wind in the Willows (on CD in the car), The Secret Garden, the Anne of Green Gables seriesThe Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar, almost all of Little House on the Prairie and The Incredible Journey. We are now working our way thru Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh (also on CD in the car).

And I have to mention that my little 7yo gypsy gal won a groovy bicycle at our local library for all this family reading. She was one of ten children chosen (out of 400) to win one of the ten bikes, which were given to the top readers in various age groups for the month of June. My older gal was sad she didn't win but the two older reading groups were fairly stiff competition. I didn't even bother to take my camera to the award ceremony because I was certain they had both been out-read. And can I just add that quite a few of the bike winners (including two siblings) were from either homeschool families or kiddos who attend private school. So, yay for the homeschoolers!

A picture of the winners will be in the local paper next week so as soon as I get my hands on a photo I'll add it right *here.*

I'm still working on The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and A Fine Balance (seriously, where's my bicycle?). I got bogged down by Midnight's Children, which I'll admit I eventually just gave up on. That book required way too much understanding of things I don't know or apparently can't understand. The writing is atrocious. It hurt my little brain.

I also gotten bogged down by what I thought would be a quick read, Jude the Obscure, by Thomas Hardy. It's actually fairly enjoyable and I love the language...it's just...I don't know. I think in all honesty I've lately become distracted from books because of the introduction of Dexter into my life. A friend suggested I pick up the first season from the library and try it out...and now I find myself determined to catch up with the rest of the cable-drunk world on what this Dexter thing is all about...and it seems to be taking up all my reading time. Curses! And there's five seasons to get thru! Hmph! Isn't this exactly what I was trying to avoid by not having cable? Apparently my little brain has simply shut down (book-overload?) and wants to be entertained the old-fashioned way. Or do I have that backwards?

I suppose it's possible I fried my brain. It is kinda hot out. I blame Bossypants. Actually, it hurts to speculate. And besides, Dexter is hawt! Creepy - but hawt. I think I'll just keep watching until my brain stops hemorrhaging. Or will that just make it worse? Gah, I'm so confused!


No comments:

Post a Comment