A Garden Update for May


A couple of days after returning from what can only be described as a truly Griswald vacation out to West Texas (is West Texas an official place?), we found this beauty hanging out in the garden. Holy snozzcumbers!


Behold! "Oh Queen! Oh Monarcher! Oh, Golden Sovereign! Oh, Ruler! Oh, Ruler of Straight Lines!”

(can you tell we've been reading the BFG?) 



Since harvesting these last few super-sized zukes, I haven't been too sure what to do with some of the dying leaves on the squash and zucchini plants, so I've been trimming them away. And as I trim, it seems to crawl. It's moving further and further away from the original root. I've done a little research and apparently this is what it's supposed to do. It's now throwing off side-shoots from the base. Which will hopefully turn into more zucchinis. Interesting!



Bees! How I love to see the bees!



Volunteer Lantana is popping up in various places around the yard...and to think I used to pay money for these. And they are one of the few flowering bushes the deer will leave alone (and the chickens, I might add). Lovely.


Belinda's Dream.



New okra bushes went into the garden this past weekend. These came all ready to harvest so looks like we'll be having some fried okra tonight!




Morning Glory. I threw these seeds out early spring and already have vines growing around the fence.



"A whizzpopper!" cried the BFG. "Us giants is making whizzpoppers all the time! Whizzpopping is a sign of happiness. It is music in our ears! You surely is not telling me that a little whizzpopping if forbidden among human beans?"









And this *sniff sniff* is what the chickens did to my Gardenias....“Catasterous!”


and to my corn...


speaking of corn...this is how the fall garden is looking now. Tomatoes, several types of pumpkins, cantaloupe, sunflowers, various winter squashes, etc


I think this is a tiny little pumpkin....



A gift from my mother...he's grand, ain't he?


And a gift from a dear friend and fellow garden lover...it's a spinach vine plant that apparently loves our heatwaves...and grows on a vine...did I mention it's spinach? In the summer? Crazy, right?! I'm keeping this one away from those naughty hens!


By golly we're farmers!



picked...



and peeled...and ready to be made into sauce!


seriously...this snozzcumber was huge!



We're getting eggs daily now. One of our hens had trouble with a few soft eggs at first (and one weird rubber one) but she seems to have sorted the whole egg-laying thing out now. I picked a few cups of basil and some parsley from the garden to make a big ol batch of pesto for the freezer.


Our garden is small but so far it's showering us with a fairly good supply of fresh veggies, which we are thankful for. The girls check on it daily, and the hens love when they get a chance to go inside and scratch and dig (and eat corn stalks). We're in Stage 1 water restrictions out here on the lake with so little rain since January, so I'm not sure how our little garden will fair this summer without some serious rainfall, but for now it seems to be enjoying our warm spring days. I have a few recipes I'll be sharing soon that we thought were yummy ways to use up our harvested veggies! 

Happy Gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment