Yam Fries

I really don't know what the difference is between yams and sweet potatoes. And truth be told, I really have no interest in googling it to find out. Suffice it to say we grew some of them in our garden this year. And if I had to guess, I'd say they were yams, because they tasted sweeter and were softer than the normal sweet potatoes we cook with. Maybe that's because they were home grown. Who knows. Point is, we chopped the little buggers up and made fries out of them. And they were most delicious. Even the monkeys gave them a thumbs up and now request these with their lunches. We throw them on a pan with a little EVOO and season salt and bake...it doesn't get easier than that!


I should also add we grew these in pots, rather than in the garden. I had bought some yams/sweet potatoes from the store and a good friend suggested I plant one of the eyes (the little knobby parts of the potato) and watch it grow into a beautiful vine. So I did just that. I stuck one of the ends into one of my potted plants and forgot about it watered it, and by golly it grew into a beautiful vine, just like she said. It grew up and over and around. I had to make a trellis for it. It just kept getting longer and longer. Finally, on Thanksgiving day, the leaves looked like they weren't loving life anymore so we decided to pull it up and see what all the fuss was about. That one little eye of potato had turned into 3 large sweet potatoes! And to think, I was content with just the pretty vine.

No comments:

Post a Comment