Library Day

I love library day. For me that's the day I go pick up all my pre-ordered books. I try to get 8-10 at a time (some for the kiddos, too) so that I have plenty to read during down time. I go thru about 100 pages a day so every few days I'm eyeing the next book in the stack. Some are cookbooks and some are sewing books and some are knitting books - those get to lay around longer than the others as it takes me awhile to work thru recipes and projects. But for the most part library day means new adventures and stories and ideas are stacked up waiting for me. Sigh.

This week's picks are somewhat random: The Well-Adjusted Child, Dumbing us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling, and The First Year of Homeschooling, are, well, homeschooling books. Then there's Babe: The Gallant Pig, which my 4th grader can't seem to put down. She confessed yesterday that she snuck it under her desk to read while the teacher was reading a different book. Atta, girl! I had hoped for us to all read it together, but prying it away from her may be tough. However, as soon as she's done I think it'll go in the family reading pile.

I'm not really sure we have one of those, but we should. So now we do.

I would have picked up something for my little critter but she's been clinging to a couple of her own library books pretty much since school started. She's got a bit of a Biscuit obsession going on (they're at my level, mama), which I agree with, and I admire her tenacity to stick with books until she's absolutely mastered every word. She has that kind of stick-with-it-ness about her. It's how she taught herself to snap. Yes, snap. She's actually now a really good snapper. She often walks around the house, in fact, snapping her fingers. She learns these things by shear determination. Teaching herself to read the Biscuit books is apparenlty going to be no different. Mastered them, she has. Every. Nite. But she still won't return them to the library. Maybe I'll pick up some different Biscuit books for her. Gulp. Her tenacity rivals my own, at times. Some days it frightens me and some days I'm in awe. Hopefully she'll choose to use it someday for good rather than evil. And hopefully she'll give up the Biscuit books before 2nd grade.

I also picked up Animal, Vegetable, Miracle as I'm still in homesteading mode. I read some iffy reviews on this one but I'm curious either way. Bend the Rules Sewing, Ani's Raw Food Essentials, and Now Eat This are mostly for the pretty pictures and crafting ideas. Ha. Like I can sew that kind of stuff. Though some of Rocco's recipes aren't too bad and are worth considering...also, he's lost alot of weight and is lookin' good. I'm curious about the raw food movement, and I've heard good things about Ani's book, so we'll see how far I get with that one; especially considering I still have 3 other library cookbooks I refuse to return.

The last few books for this week are: The Gift of Fear, A Briefer History of Time, and the killer, Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln. That one's going to be painful. It's 600 pages. I normally shut down after about 300 pages which is why I've still not picked up The Fountainhead. I thought I'd read it this summer, but noooooooooo...mama can't stay focused that long. Plus, I think I'm over Ayn Rand. I related in college, but not sure how I feel or where I stand on all that now. I recently had a friend write to me and ask me how I felt about Atlas Shrugged as a 40yo (and given our political climate) as compared to how I felt about it as a 25-30yo. I have to admit, it does look different. I saw a play last summer about Ayn Rand. She didn't come across as all that stable. Not sure if that was their intent or not, but geez, it certainly wasn't a flattering portrayal of her. I still think she was an amazing writer, just not sure I will relate to her work the same now. Maybe next summer. Maybe when I'm 60 I'll have come full circle. For now I'm determined to learn about good ol' maybe not so honest, Abe. I did some reading on Jefferson last year and fell in like with the man. I also read bios on Einstein and Franklin. Both of which I adored. And both of which are shelf-worthy. We'll see how Mr. Lincoln holds up - if I can make it thru. I think I can I think I can.

Snap!

And what are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment